Tips for Beach Trips
I was shocked when I read this news “Pune’s 14 college students lost their lives on Murud beach” 😦
whose Responsibility it was ?
College who allowed this trip OR teachers who were there to manage this trip n take care of students OR students who always do what they want to do OR their parents who allowed their children for this trip ???? Now there is no point in discussing all this.
It was a college trip and I am taking such trips for many years. All these trips create memories for your LIFE, but accidents may happen especially when it’s group tour. Nobody can control each and everything. Still as a individual we need to be careful during trip.
For safe trip, I am sharing some tips with you :
- If you are going for water sports, make sure you wear life jacket ( ask them ). They must have it and If they don’t have then better avoid them.
- Don’t force others to come in deep water. Let them take their own judgement. Many a times it’s a peer pressure due to which even non swimmers go in deep water to show off how much they can dare.
- Don’t go in deep water even if you are swimmer. Remember it’s a sea and not a swimming pool. Swimming pool has life guard support whereas our sea has no life guards available on beach (some beaches in GOA, India do have Life guards). Also there is different effect of high/low tide in sea which we don’t experience in swimming pool. In case of low tide if you go in deep water and if water starts fetching you inside then it will be difficult for life guards or near by people to save you. Also it will take lot of time to reach you as you went in deep water.
- Avoid risky plays in Sea. Teenagers n specially boys tend to make groups and target somebody and try to drown them for fun. Remember Your fun can take somebody’s LIFE.
- Try to be in clear visible distance of your group members and group leader/teacher. Sometimes couple tend to go far from groups to achieve privacy.
- Don’t go alone. Inform your group leader or senior person with whom you are going.
- Be careful while taking photo.
Now a days people are selfie/photo freak. Many a times to get different photo than others people take risk to get that special shot which may turn to be your life’s last shot.
- Drink more water to avoid dehydration and cramps.
It’s commonly found that people get cramps especially in water. It’s mainly because before going in water, people play on beach for long time which dehydrates your body. On many beaches drinking water is not available and it’s available people don’t want to spend money for water. So carry your own water bottle on beach and keep drinking water regularly. Prefer coconut water which is radially available near beaches.
- Always listen to locals. They know that sea/beach very well and experienced it from years. so take local tips from them.
- Avoid going to beach/sea in afternoon from 11am to 3pm.
Normally many one day trips reach beach destinations in afternoon and they have to return back in evening, so only time they have is afternoon on beach. Best time to go on beach/sea is morning 6-10 or in evening 4 to 6:30.
- Wear sun caps or hats , sun glasses (goggles) if You have to go on beach in afternoon. Apply sunscreen cream to avoid sun burn and sun strokes.
- Avoid going in sea in nights (after dark ) as it will be difficult to locate you if something goes wrong.
- kids MUST be accompanied by adults if kids want to go in water and adults must supervise them while kids are playing on beach. You never know when they will run towards water.
- In case if someone is drowning then try to give them rope or scarf and pull them near shore. Avoid going near them as drowning person is in panic mode and will hold you tightly to save him/her self, as a result You will also start drowning due to load.
- If you are trip leader then you should have first aid and basic rescue techniques which are immediately required till paramedical / rescue team arrives.
- Trip leader should also carry whistle to signal your group members who are going far, controlling crowed and to ask for help.
Hope above tips will help you to save your life and your group members life.